Building Details - Architects of South Australia

Building NameTorrens Arms
Client NameEdwin T. Smith
Street No.95
Street NameBelair Road
Year Designed
Year Completed1881
Other ConsultantsEnglish & Soward
Heritage Listing

Between 1878 and 1881 Smith employed Thomas English and G.K. Soward to design either the rebuilding or alteration of six hotels. The Old Colonist, Angas Street, Adelaide and the Torrens Arms were rebuilt. The Torrens Arms was a typical example of Adelaide hotel architecture shaped by the designs of English and Soward. Constructed of light-coloured stone with contrasting darker stone quoins, it had gables with detailed vents on both street frontages. The balconette on the southern façade was timber as was the verandah on the western façade.

The ground floor plan included the public bar, dining room, commercial room, kitchen and associated service areas with four bedrooms, two sitting rooms and a bathroom on the first floor. The pit toilet and attached washroom were separate from the main structure. The original plan indicates numerous chimneys for fireplaces for heating and cooking but these have all been removed.

The existing Torrens Arms Hotel has been extended several times at the rear. Substantial verandahs have been added to the street but it is still possible to see the original facades through them. The original character remains evident (Collins, J. and Garnaut, C. (2002) ‘Jackman Gooden Pilot Study Report’, LLSAM).

Architect NameEnglish, Thomas

Home Page | Close Window